Wednesday, June 27, 2012

E.S. - Day 2

Friday we decided on a short hike to try to acclimate to the higher altitude.  We took "a journey through the oldest known living forest..." a four mile trail through the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.  I had read about this before, and thought it was just one ancient tree... big deal.  Well... it is a whole forest of trees that are well over 1,000, 2,000 and 3,000+ years old.  In fact, the oldest living tree was discovered here in 1957.... 4,600 years old!  (I felt very young here!!)  I could go on and on because the hike included a brochure with lots and lots of information (I've included a few tidbits in some of the captions), but I will stop and just post some pictures.



These trees, many of which are thousands of years old, have been sculpted by wind, ice and extreme exposure to the elements.  Their contorted shapes seem to defy nature.


Sorry for the sun flare, but I was looking straight into the sun for this picture.


A one inch thickness of growth on a Bristlecone may take a century to accomplish. 



Because bristlecones keep their needles for so long (30-40 years), very few are dropped to the ground each year.



The trail only had an 800 foot elevation gain, but since it started at an elevation of 9,600 feet, it seemed a lot harder.  (For me anyway!)



Bristlecone grow lateral roots, but no deep tap root.  They are shallow, usually found within the first foot or two of soil.



Yes... I actually let Dave use my camera to take a picture of me!




No comments:

Post a Comment